If you know us, you know we are always looking for food bloggers who redefine African food and cuisines. So, when we stumbled on this Egusi brittle recipe, we felt both awe and disbelief at the same time.
We got this recipe from Afrolems.com, and it is really easy and simple to make.
Here is what you will need!
- 1/4 cup of Egusi seeds (Melon seeds)
- 1/4 cup of Peanuts
- 2 tablespoons Sesame Seeds
- 1.5 tablespoons of Maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of Coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Honey (You can substitute with Sugar)
- 1/3 cup of Candied Zobo Leaves
- 1/4 cup of Desiccated Coconut
- 2.5 tablespoons of Melted Chocolate
And, here is how to make Egusi brittle
- Mix Egusi, peanuts, sesame seeds, honey, cinnamon powder, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract and salt in a bowl
- Grease baking paper and line your baking tray with it
- Then, pour your mixture onto the baking paper.
- After that, heat up your oven to 350 F and once the oven is hot, place the mixture in and allow it to bake for 10 minutes.
- Once 10 minutes is up, reduce the heat to 180 F and bake for another 12 minutes.
- Finally, take it out and spread the melted chocolate over the mix gently. You can top with your desiccated coconut and zobo leaves and place in the fridge to cool.
- Break into manageable pieces and consume.
Try this recipe out and let us know if you like it!